How Genetics Disease Testing Works
Common Ailments that Genetic Disease Testing Can Identify
As technology makes significant leaps and bounds each year, we have reached a point where we can now obtain genetic disease testing to better prepare ourselves for our future and make changes to treat or reduce the effects of diseases and illnesses. What exactly is genetic disease testing you ask?
It is a medical analysis of your genes. What that means is it looks at the DNA you have inherited by both your mother and father, and it is often used to identify increased health risks. Knowledge and awareness of the potential risks your genes carry can help you ensure you live a long and healthy life. That is why many people are now going to labs for genetic disease testing.
Which Diseases and Illnesses Can be Discovered by Genetics Disease Testing?
Genetic disease testing can detect a plethora of inherited ailments. Some examples include:
- Heart Disease: As the leading cause of death in the U.S., it is important to look at any potential risk factors for heart disease. This disease involves narrow or blocked blood vessels which can lead to chest pain, heart attacks, and strokes.
- Cystic Fibrosis: This genetic disease causes fluids in the body to become thick and sticky, leading to the development of persistent lung infections and limited breathing over time.
- Huntington’s Disease: This fatal genetic disorder breaks down nerve cells in the brain over time. Although there is currently no way to prevent the disease, there are ways to help manage Huntington’s Disease. So, knowing about your risks early is very beneficial.
- Diabetes: Genetic disease testing can also detect type 2 diabetes. This type of diabetes indicates your body will either not produce enough insulin or it resists insulin.
- Polycystic Kidney Disease: This type of kidney disease is chronic and involves cysts developing in the kidneys. It cannot be cured but there are several options for treatment.
These are just a few of the several hereditary diseases and illnesses that genetic disease testing can catch. If you want to learn more about which ailments genetic testing can discover, contact Dynamic DNA Labs! We are a state-of-the-art genetics lab, and we specialize in DNA testing. We can help you get the answers you need through our reliable genetic disease testing. Feel free to reach us by phone, email, or by stopping by our lab in Springfield, MO! We can’t wait to hear from you and help you discover how to live a happier, healthier life.